A brief history of the School
Crosfields became an independent Preparatory School in 1957. However, its roots can be traced back to a school in Castle Street called Marlborough House, established in the first half of the 19th Century. The school moved first onto the Bath Road and then, in the 1920's, to Park House, a private house in five acres of grounds on Parkside Road. (It is now the YMCA.)
At the outbreak of the Second World War, the Headmaster Mr. Makins, approached Leighton Park School with a view to them taking over Marlborough House and thus ensuring a continuity of education for the pupils. The boys moved into Townson House and became LP Junior School.
After the war, the Goodrest Estate was purchased by Leighton Park and the Junior School moved in in 1946. The name Crosfields was chosen at a boy's suggestion in memory of Hugh Crosfield, an old boy and Governor of LP who had been killed in an air raid in 1944.
By the 1950's, the number of pupils had increased to around 100, both day and boarding. A recommendation by the Schools' Inspectorate that Crosfields should become entirely a day school was seriously considered and, in January 1957, the school became a non-profit making Trust with its own board of governors and, thus, independent, though with strong links to Leighton Park.
The school is essentially non-denominational with a long tradition of welcoming children of different religious backgrounds. Christian teaching is given and strong emphasis is placed on moral principles of kindness, tolerance, good manners, honesty, and a sense of responsibility to one another and oneself.
The original buildings - the White Building and the Stable Block - have been added to steadily over the last five decades as the number of pupils has risen.